top of page
General History & Introduction to St.Matthew’s Church, Newbottle
St.Matthew’s Church, as it stands today, was built on the site of the former church at Newbottle. The former church was built in October 1850 and consecrated and opened in December 1850, as a Chapel of Ease for the mother church at Houghton-Le-Spring; the land was given by the Earl of Durham.This church eventually became too small, as it only seated approximately 200 people for worship, so it was decided to build a new larger church on the same site.
Key Features Guide
Please download and read our Key Features guide which has a in depth history and information about
St. Matthew's Church.
bottom of page